" If there is anything that makes me sad is the thought that my grandchildren might not experience the beauty of the environment that I had the privilege of seeing due to unsustainable land-use practices. With the threat due to climate change already pressuring our nature knowing that human practice is also accelerating the predominance of bare ground has given me the drive to advocate for principles that promote the health of ecosystems as well as persuade humankind to respect nature as a basis of sustainable livelihood"
"I know this is possible if we work together because growing up in traditional Shona woodlands, biodiversity was the norm. Sleeping in green savannah grasslands, fishing in rivers and natural lakes as well as seeing wild animals both large and small are the greatest memories of my childhood. Every time my Shona elders told me that if you take good care of the land, the land will take good care of you.' I was also told that killing (animal to save woodlands) is not the solution to fixing things it is important to maintain the balance of the ecosystem from a holistic point of view.
Because of this, the Njeremoto Biodiversity Institute has the mandate of facilitating sustainable time-controlled grazing in arid and semi-arid rangeland ecosystems. I have realized that 80% of human attention and problem solution is given to the urban areas 20% of the environment leaving the rangelands (80%) of our environment with no one to attend to. I believe that if attention by the community is made to the rangelands it can improve our lives both now and in the future.
For together we can help each other protect our planet, Welcome to the Njeremoto Biodiversity Institute website where we aim to share or experience together with you."
Osmond Mugweni - Founder, Principal researcher, and Executive Director of the Njeremoto Biodiversity Institute
Teach a man to fish award
The Pan African Award for Entrepreneurship in Education 2014 Zimbabwe Country prize goes to NJeremoto Biodiversity Institute